Focused Discussion Questions - TAE I
1. What have I learnt about my learning style?
At the beginning of the semester we were asked to take a VARK questionnaire to determine our learning style. VARK is a questionnaire “that helps your learning by suggesting the strategies you should be using”. Depending on your answers, the results can be one of the following learning styles - visual, audio, read / write, or kinesthetics. I was determined to be a very strong kinesthetic learner, which is someone that likes “practical exercises, experiences, examples, trial and error and things that are real” (VARK, n.d). I would have to agree with this statement as I’ve always learned from example. It has always been easier to grasp concepts when they are visually in front of me as opposed to something that I hear verbally. I also have a strong preference for hands on experience when it comes to solving a problem.
a. Is there anything about my approach to learning that needs adjustments?
Another characteristic about my learning is that I start feeling a sense of discomfort if I don’t fully grasp the lesson in front of me before I am asked to apply it. I have had experiences in the past where this has happened and it has led to a feeling of imposter syndrome, which can be defined as “a collection of feelings of inadequacy that persist despite evident success. ‘Imposters’ suffer from chronic self-doubt and a sense of intellectual fraudulence that override any feelings of success or external proof of their competence” (Corkindale, 2008). One key adjustment that I would need to make going forward to trust in the learning process. Not all lessons and concepts will be fully understood the first time, and it is important to remind myself that as long as I don’t give up and continue applying myself, I will surely come to understand them in due time.
b. Have I spent the time to assess the situational, dispositional, and institutional obstacles and the implications these may have on my learner success?
Based on the amount of material that is required for us to learn and the amount of time given us, my hindrance can be problematic. At times it feels like there is never enough time to complete all of the assignments which leads to feelings of stress. The most important to remember is continue striving to the best of my ability and to ensure I keep abreast of my assignments and to play close attention to adhere to when lessons are due.
2. Based on what I have learned, am I poised and prepared for learner success? Based on what I have learned so far and what lies ahead for the rest of the programme, I already feel empowered to be a successful teacher. I am self-determined and very driven to succeed.
3. Am I empowered to become a master teacher? a. Will I be able to empower others?
My determination to be an art / design teacher came during my past eleven years living in Japan. A lot of that time was spent teaching English either full-time or part-time. I have always enjoyed teaching as I found it very fulfilling being able to pass on invaluable knowledge to students, and form invaluable connections. With my extensive background in fashion and graphic design, which I received from studying at both the Edna Manley School of Visual Arts in Kingson, Jamaica, and Esmod Japon in Tokyo, Japan. My desire to attain a masters degree in teaching came from a need of wanting having the correct skill set and understanding of different teaching methods so I can effectively give back to Jamaica and promote the cultural diversity of the Caribbean by enriching the aesthetic sensibilities of its students.
References
VARK. (n.d).Kinesthetic Strategies. Retrieved from:
https://vark-learn.com/strategies/kinesthetic-strategies/
Corkindale, G. (2008). Overcoming Imposter Syndrome. Retrieved from:
https://hbr.org/2008/05/overcoming-imposter-syndrome#:~:text=Imposter%20syndrome%20can%20be%20defined,external%20proof%20of%20their%20competence.

Comments
Post a Comment